Now that the IRS has postponed the due date for 2019’s tax payments to July 15th, you may be wondering how you can cancel any scheduled tax payments to the IRS.
It’s actually very easy to cancel your tax payments by calling the IRS’ automated line. No waits and it takes about 5 minutes to complete! The number is 1.888.353.4537
Make sure you have the following handy before you call:
- The primary taxpayer’s SSN
- The amount of your tax payment that’s scheduled to be debited
- The bank account number that the payment is scheduled to be debited from
You’ll then go through the prompts and at the end, you’ll get a confirmation number – make sure you jot this down!
Don’t forget to make this tax payment at a future date:
Remember, the new due date is July 15, 2020. You can either send a check or pay online using IRS Direct Pay whenever you’re ready. Once you cancel your payment, it will not be debited by the IRS at a future date. Making the payment will be your responsibility.
Instructions for paying online are below:
- Click “Make a Payment”
- Setup your options like the screenshot below
- Click “Continue” and follow the prompts to verify your identity
- Don’t forget to PDF the confirmation page and save it in your records before exiting the website. The confirmation page will list your payment confirmation number, payment amount, and date.
Please reach out, we’d love to help!
This post is to be used for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, business, or tax advice. Each person should consult his or her own attorney, business advisor, or tax advisor with respect to matters referenced in this post. Countless assumes no liability for actions taken in reliance upon the information contained herein.